10 common Spanish dishes

As my blog title suggests, I love Spain and I love food. So I thought, why not talk about the Spanish food? Here are some dishes that I would die for and they are very typical ones you will find across Spain.


Chipirones a la plancha
(Grill baby squid)
From Tapas 24

Actually I love any kinds of grilled seafood, or seafood of any kind really. But one of my absolute favourite are these baby squids grilled with its ink splashing out. Sweet and juicy in every bite!

Fideuá Negra
from La Fonda

While everyone is crazy about paella which I also love (mentioned below), fideuá is a twisted version where a thin short pasta is used (almost like vermicelli) and it picks up all the flavour from the broth. Definitely a stunning dish accompanied with the sweetness of the squid ink and the shellfish. (people are so strict with not needing to eat it with Alioli (garlic mayo) if it's cooked well but I don't care I am Asian and I love it!)

Huevos Rotos
(Broken Eggs)
from El Quim de la Boqueria

Yes, that's right they are just eggs. And yep they are just any kind of eggs and it definitely does not look very Spanish-exclusive. But how they fry the eggs with the edges all crispy and oozy in the centre is definitely a highlight, especially when they are usually accompanied with crispy potato chunks, jamón, cheese or in this case my favourite baby squids. Yes you can literally throw it all together yourself at home and it's not exactly gastronomic but it's a great comfort food to have. 

 

Jamón Iberico 
(Iberico Ham)

Needless to introduce this very legend of the Spanish culinary. There are many kinds, and many grading according to its origin, the number of years it has been cured for, the brand, what did pigs eat ... etc. just like how fussy people can get with wines. I am honestly not an expert in this area. 

Paella

I actually never knew about 2 things before I came to Spain

1) "Paella" literally just means the pan.
2) The most traditional Valencian Paella actually is meaty and it doesn not have any kind of seafood! and definitely NO chorizo (please... )

For me I like both Paella Valenciano and Seafood Paella. Do be prepared to see the rabbit head (and its heart and all its organs) in the rice they love it...

Ensaimada
from El Pan de Estelles

My absolute absolute favourite choice of breakfast / pastry in Spain. Ensaimada is originally from Mallorca which unfortunately I haven't had a chance to visit yet. They are fluffy pastries made with lard (lard actually is more healthy than butter in case you don't know) and sprinked on top with icing sugar. You can find ones that are filled with cream, jam, chocolate as well but I just like it plain.  


Arroz al horno
(Baked rice?)

It seems to an everyone's favourite dish at home in Valencia although apparently you can find it in some (touristy) restaurants too. It's a hearty baked rice with crispy potatoes on top, morcilla (blood sausage with onion), ribs, tomatoes but the best part is the mushy, flavourful baked garlic. It's wonderful with the socarrat (burnt crispy rice).

Oreja a la plancha
(Grill pork ear)
Source: Google

Not that I have not eaten pork ear in my life. It's really popular in Asia too. But I tried these grilled with parsley and garlic and WOW I can never go back! They are so crunchy, chewy and gooey all at the same time, together with the pork fat .... This is a perfect tapas for me. 


Tortilla de Patata
(Potato omelet)
Source: Google

I can't believe I don't have a nice tortilla photo SHAME ON ME. Probably because I always can't wait and just dig into it! There is always a huge debate between whether you like your tortilla with or without onion. I will no doubt vote for one without onion. There is also a conspiracy theory around saying Gallegos (people from Galicia) make the best tortillas. I mean my one and only Gallego friend and his mum both make amazing tortillas. Not sure if this info is helpful :p

Pimientos de Padrón Fritos
(Padron peppers)
Source: Google

Another one of my all-time favourite! And yes another one that I never take photo of because it's a true love and I can bare to have it cold. Some earthy fresh Padron peppers fried and served with salt flakes. Nothing fancy and pretentious, as authentic as it seems and never fails. 

The Spaniards eat so well ... I am so never going to leaving.



Lots of love,
Cherrie x

Comments

Popular Posts